What are orofacial myology disorders?
An OMD involves the muscles of the face, mouth, tongue and lips. Facial shape development and dental arch form may be affected by:
- Improper resting posture of the tongue and lips
- Inadequate coordination of the muscles used for chewing and swallowing
- A prolonged oral habit
Contributing factors are difficult to isolate but may include:
- Enlarged tonsils or adenoids
- Shortened tissue attachment under the tongue
- Prolonged baby bottle, sippy cup, or pacifier use
- Thumb or digit sucking
- Chronic congestion caused by allergies
- Neurological or physical developmental problems
You may have been referred for a consult or therapy by your dentist, orthodontist, physician, speech/language therapist or word of mouth. Please feel free to call for an appointment.